Wednesday, November 10, 2010

TV in Modern Spain



For whatever reasons, our senora doesn’t really like us in the living room while she isn’t there. The television is located in the living room and thus I rarely sit down and watch it. Several times I have sat down with my senora to watch TV. Her favorite programs are the celebrity gossip shows and reality shows on Telecinco. They are very similar to the Prensa Rosa, based mainly on big flashy images of celebrities and the royal family. These programs are of course more popular with the women. Another channel that frequently plays in our house is Disney Channel, that is because all day my Senora babysits her grandson. From what I understand this is a free channel in Spain, and is not considered a cable station which you must pay extra for. All of the shows and cartoons that I have watched with her grandson are dubbed in Spanish. I was interested to learn earlier this semester that the top 5 most watched TV moments in Spain’s history were all Sports related, and more specifically all Soccer related! I guess considering how deeply rooted this sport is in the Spanish culture, that is not too big of a surprise! We learned that in 1995, 70% of all TV viewers watched just two channels, TVE1 and La2. Fifteen years later the selection has greatly diversified . However, the most popular channel is still TVE1. According to a survey by El Mundo in 2009, 17% of viewers chose this station over any others. I believe the reason that this channel is the most popular is because of two reasons. One, there are no commercials. Two, it is a channel funded by public financing. In other words people watch this channel because they know their tax dollars are funding it. Although the Spanish Television options have diversified in the past 5 years, I still prefer how we have so many more options in the US. I think that in the U.S there is an option for every viewer, and there are many more channels for specific niche audiences. I believe that Spain is “behind” us in this sense because of the strict regulations imposed on the media during the Franco regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment