Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Radio for a More Cultured Youth



I have never really been a big radio listener. I suppose because for the past several years at college I have not had my car and no one actually owns a radio for home listening any more. These days everyone pretty much relies on their IPod or the internet for streaming music or news. For this reason radio does not play an important role in my media consumption and was not something I have searched out in Spain. My senora doesn’t even own a working radio, so this presented an additional problem. In talking to the niece of my senora, I learned of a radio station called Radio 3(RTVE). She told me that she enjoys using the website because they have live streaming radio, podcasts, interviews and it’s overall a great place to find new music. I decided to check out the website. I loved the design layout of it. It was very easy to navigate and visually pleasing. At the top of the home page you can pick from various genres of music: Rock/Pop, World Music, Jazz/Blues, Hip Hop/Funk etc. Once you click on any of these you are directed to a page which provides you streaming music, podcasts and articles specific to that genre. I enjoyed listening to Flamenco Reggae on the World Music section, learning about Theopholius Monk in the Jazz section and was surprised by how much I liked the Spanish rap station. There is also a Culture and Life section of the website. Here there were listings of programs on the radio station that allow callers to phone in and debate various cultural topics. Also offered on the Culture and Life Page were blogs on various topics. I loved this website! It almost had a feel of the NPR website(National Public Radio in the U.S), but more focused on music and geared towards young adults. The goal is clearly to provide young adults with a worldly view on music and culture. I have returned several times to check out new articles and artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment